Skip to content

loveinthemidwest

Just another WordPress.com site

The dresser in our master bedroom was once a part of my husband’s childhood furniture.  His mom graciously allowed us to take it with us when we moved in together.  The only problem was that he had slapped abercrombie stickers all over it when he was 13!  Not sure about what to do when I first got it, I just sanded it down and we spray painted it black.  You can all imagine what this looked like!  Here is a picture if you can’t.  It certainly was better than having stickers all over it but it was more of a quick fix until I could figure out what I really wanted to do with it.

I decided I wanted to paint it cream, distress it and add bronzed hardware.  Here are the results.

I just love the hardware I picked up at Lowes for about $2.50 per knob.  The whole project cost me about $70 but once again I have a lot of left over primer and paint to use for another project.  Here are a few pictures of the process.

    

We first took out all the drawers, sanded everything with a medium grit sand paper and then primed it.  We ended up putting 3 coats of primer on it.  Then we painted it, using 2 coats of Valspar Muslin Wrap in eggshell. After the paint was done drying I went out with the sand paper and a screw driver and I distressed it (the husband wasn’t a huge fan of this). The final step was to measure the drawer fronts to figure out where to place the knobs.  I measured the width and divided it by half to find out where to center them. I eye-balled how far in I wanted the first one to go and then measured and marked for each following knob.  My husband used the drill and bit to create the holes for the knobs and we attached them.  This project took some time but I absolutely love it.  It looks just how I wanted it to!

  

Chelsea

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

%d bloggers like this: